Thursday, August 5, 2010

Transfiguration of the Lord, Friday, 06-08-10

Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14 / 2 Peter 1:16-19 / Luke 9:28-36

There is a photograph of my family that i put on a shelf in my office.

It was taken on the day of my ordination, the day that I entered into the priesthood.

It was a special and a memorable day for me as I rejoiced with my family.

It was an important day in my life as I commit my life to the Lord to serve Him in His people.

That day holds deep and profound experiences for me.

Whenever the going gets rough, I would look at this picture and recall the experiences I had with the Lord and how He has blessed me and given me the graces and strength to do His work.

Today we celebrate the Feast of the Transfiguration.

On that occasion of the Transfiguration on the mountain, Jesus gave His disciples the vision of His glory.

It revealed to them who Jesus really is. It was also an experience which they will recall whenever they face trials and difficulties in the mission of spreading the Good News.

As we heard in the 2nd reading, St. Peter recalled the experience of the Transfiguration.

Yet it was also for the purpose of helping the Church to see the future glory that was awaiting them, in spite of the present hardships and difficulties.

Each of us certainly has a unique experience of a glorious moment from the Lord.

When we dig into our photo albums, we will be able to recall that moment.

It may be a graduation ceremony, a birthday celebration, a wedding celebration, a family get-together, etc.

When we look at those photographs and ponder over them, we will also see the moment of a glorious experience from God in them.

It is in recalling this glorious God-given moment, we will be able to transfigure a present difficulty or crisis into a glorious moment and experience.