Monday, October 11, 2010

28th Week, Ordinary Time, Tuesday, 12-10-10

Galatians 5:1-6 / Luke 11:37-41

There is this story of an old man who was going around planting very small fruit trees.

When he was asked when will those trees bear fruit, he replied : Probably years after I am dead.

So then, why plant them if he wasn't going to enjoy the fruits of his labour?

The old man replied: I didn't find the world empty of fruit trees when I was born. So I am planting these fruit trees for others who will come after me, just as others had did before me.

I narrate this story because I find it interesting that Jesus said in the gospel: Give alms from what you have and then indeed everything will be clean for you.

In the Jewish tradition, charity is represented by righteousness and justice, and the poor are entitled to charity as a matter of right rather than benevolence.

Following from that, the Church also teaches that private acts of charity are considered  a Christian duty, and not done for others to admire. 

Here Jesus places the primary focus on the motives behind the outward and an inward giving of alms - which should be love (cf Matthew 6:1)


So alms-giving is not just a duty but it also should be an act of love.

Let us also remember what Jesus said in Matthew 25:45 : Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

So let us continue to plant trees of life that will bear fruits of love.

It is not just because of duty ; it will also cleanse our souls.