Monday, October 3, 2011

27th Week in Ordinary Time, Tuesday, 04-10-11

Jonah 3:1-10 / Luke 10:38-42

One the of keys for focused living is to draw up for ourselves a list of priorities or a list of necessary things to do.

And hence as we begin each day, we will immediately know what we need to do first.

Then the other things that come along the way will become secondary or of a lesser priority.

So for example, the duties and priorities of a priest is clear - prayer and meditation on the scriptures in order to celebrate the Eucharist well, preparation for preaching and teaching catechism, and other pastoral duties of sanctification of the people like celebrating the sacraments, visiting the sick and consoling the bereaved.

When we are focused on the correct priorities of our lives, then we won't be so easily distracted, like how we heard about Martha in the gospel, who was distracted by what she was doing.

On the other hand Mary was focused on what was important. Jonah, as we heard in the 1st reading, was focus on what he was supposed to do.

St. Francis of Assisi was also focused on his spirituality of poverty and simplicity as an expression of dependence and trust in God.

Indeed, between being focused and getting distracted, there is one big difference. That difference is in prayer. Let me share with you the difference prayer can make, with this poem.


I got up early one morning
and rushed right into
the day; I had so much
to accomplish, that I
didn't have time to pray.



Problems just tumbled
about me; and heavier
came each task.
"Why doesn't God help me?"
I wondered. He answered,
"You didn't ask."



I wanted to see joy and beauty,
but the day toiled on,
gray and bleak; I wondered
why God didn't show me.
He said, "But you didn't seek."



I tried to come into God's presence,
I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided,
"My child, you didn't knock."



I woke up early this morning,
and paused before entering
the day; I had so much to
accomplish that I had to
take time to pray.


Philippians 4:6 - Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.