Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Wednesday of Holy Week, 27-03-13

Isaiah 50:4-9 / Matthew 26:14-25

There have been questions about the real intention of Judas. Questions like "Did he really intend to betray Jesus?"; "Could it be that Judas wanted Jesus to reveal His true identity and so he tried to hasten it by planning it like that?"

In the gospel of Matthew that we have just heard, the narrative goes like this: Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What will you give me if I hand him over to you?” And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him.

By and large, the word used in other versions is also "betray" so the meaning is clear and so is the intention of Judas.

At the Last Supper when Jesus was at table with the twelve disciples, He said: I tell you solemnly, one of you is about to betray me.

They were greatly distressed and started asking him in turn: Not I, Lord, surely.

And when it came to Judas' turn, he can even ask without flinching: Not I, Rabbi, surely?

Jesus only replied: They are your own words. Jesus did not bluntly point out His betrayer, nor did He corner Judas and made him beg for mercy.

Jesus was like that Suffering Servant in the 1st reading which had him saying: The Lord has given me a disciple's tongue. So that I may know how to reply to the wearied, he provides me with speech.

Yes, a disciple's tongue will not speak words that will judge and condemn. Because a disciple's tongue is trained with love, and it takes no pleasure in other people's sins but delights in the truth.

By his own words, Judas revealed who he is and his intention. But may our words tell others that we are disciples of love who delights in the truth.